photo by Susan Scarborough
The 4th of July always evokes memories from childhood. Friends gathering together for patriotic picnics, families celebrating America’s freedom, fireworks exploding at sundown, and people of all ages eating lots of watermelon. Watermelon is the perfect summer food because of its coolness and hydrating freshness.
To this day whenever I eat a watermelon slice, I am transported back to my grandparents’ south Georgia home, vividly recalling those hot summer days spent speed spitting the watermelon seeds off the back porch steps.
These days I don’t sit around spitting the seeds out, but I do still love a good cold watermelon. For summer suppers, I make several versions of watermelon salad.
WATERMELON WEDGE WITH ARUGULA, AVOCADO, JALAPENO AND WHITE STILTON CHEESE WITH MANGO & GINGER
- 1 large round watermelon slice, about 1 1/2-inch thickness
- 2 heaping cups arugula
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced vidalia onions
- 1 thinly sliced jalapeño
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and sliced
- crumbled White Stilton with Mango & Ginger cheese
- pine nuts
- Cut watermelon slice into fourths and place on a small plate.
- Top each with arugula, onions, and jalapeños.
- Top with avocado, stilton cheese, and pine nuts.
- Whisk olive oil and lemon. Drizzle on each watermelon wedge.
The White Stilton Cheese with mango and ginger is a must! You can find this cheese at The Fresh Market stores. This cheese is to die for and your guests will think you are the greatest chef!
The more traditional watermelon salad is also special for summertime picnics and suppers.
WATERMELON SALAD WITH FETA CHEESE
- 8 cups seeded chopped watermelon
- 1 cup feta cheese or substitute with white stilton cheese with mango and ginger
- 1/2 small Vidalia onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup packed arugula
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice or lime juice
- freshly ground pepper
- Combine first seven ingredients in bowl.
- Whisk together dressing and pour over salad just before serving.
- Most recipes call for feta cheese. When available I love the White Stilton with Mango & Candied Ginger Cheese.
What is your favorite way to eat watermelon? Any other recipes to share? I always like to hear from you!
Come celebrate with me. I’ll save you a seat at the table.