With Memorial Day upon us this weekend, many will be celebrating with family and friends. I love the red, white and blue holidays and always think a festive cheeseboard built with savory cheeses and meats along with fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries makes for a perfect appetizer.
The Strawberry Bruschetta served with a creamy goat cheese or brie adds sweetness to your cheeseboard.
Recipe via Eat Yourself Skinny, a fun food blog I enjoy.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, balsamic vinegar, honey and fresh basil, mixing well.
- Serve immediately on toasted bread slices with your favorite cheese, or let bruschetta marinate overnight. Enjoy!
- This is so easy but tastes great. If it is too sweet for your palette, cut back on honey.
I also always have on hand, my favorite hummus.
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained (reserve a little liquid)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- garlic cloves, minced (about a teaspoon)
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste -found in the peanut butter section of your grocery store)
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice ( 2 lemons)
- 1-2 tablespoons reserved liquid or water
- 8-12 dashes hot sauce (your favorite!)
- pine nuts for topping
- Place all ingredients in food processor and whirl away until coarsely pureed. Taste for seasoning. Add pine nuts on top.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil if desired.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- I love how lemony this hummus is! We make this all the time...Very healthy!
And while all are enjoying the Memorial Day Weekend with family and friends, I will remember my father and mother.
Memorial Day is a time to remember our military men and women who have given their lives to protect our country and our way of life…a free way of life. Freedom to love, freedom to worship as we see fit, freedom to speak and think.
Thank you to all who have given the ultimate sacrifice.
Coming soon to KathyMillerTime…a new website design…
And in case any of you have wondered where I have been…moving to our new abode. Watch for upcoming pictures and stories as Dave and I work on our special family home.
Come celebrate with me. I’ll save you a seat at the table.